My Go To Chocolate Cake Recipe

Baking is something I love to do and luckily I have a flatmate who has become a bit obsessed with it too.  From cookies to muffins, cheesecakes to pastries, I love it all, buuut...there's nothing like a good chocolate cake!  If we're baking, chances are it's chocolate cake, and I wanted to share with you our go to recipe! It's based on a cupcake recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery and it's so easy, tasty and moist (something which can be hard to find in a shop bought cake).  So give it a go and let me know what you think!


( How good are my side icing skills? 😉 )
( Edible glitter and mini eggs are optional )


 

You will need : 

200g Plain Flour
40g Cocoa Powder
280g Caster Sugar
3tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
80g Soft Unsalted Butter  
240ml Milk - It's meant to be whole milk but I use skimmed and it works FINE 
2 Eggs
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract

300g Icing Sugar
40g Cocoa Powder
100g Butter
40ml Milk


Preheat your oven to 170℃ and grease and line two 7" (or thereabouts) cake tins

Sieve the flour, cocoa powder, caster sugar, baking powder and salt, add the butter and slowly beat until everything is combined and you have a sandy consistency

Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together and pour half into your dry mix and beat until there are no lumps

Add the rest of the liquid mixture and mix until everything is lovely and smooth.  Do not over mix! 

Divide your mixture evenly between the two cake tins and bake until a scewer inserted into the middle comes out clean - roughly 25 minutes.

Whilst your cakes are cooling, it's time to make your icing! 

 Sieve the icing sugar and cocoa powder, add the butter and beat until you have no more big lumps of butter
- I've yet to figure out how to do this without covering my entire kitchen in a fine dusting of icing sugar (and heavily covering the worktop around my bowl), so be warned! I don't think the slowest setting on my electric hand whisk is slow enough -

Add the milk little by little (or chuck the whole lot in like I tend to do) and beat as fast as you can for 5 minutes or as long as you can be bothered, until your icing is nice and light and fluffy

 Sandwich your cakes together, cover in icing and tuck in!



 

   
 

   
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Comments

Popular Posts